Saturday 7 April 2007

Re-Post: Oh no not the R Word

When I was running my old site I had the aim of writing a lot more articles than I ever did, but one that I did write was on the subject of religion, and more importantly the word itself. Well whilst browsing the interweb today I came across this article on the BBC site that seemed in many ways to echo what I wrote about but also a lot of my feelings on the subject of the church at the moment. The article is well worth a read and so that my article does not get lost in the vaults of cyberspace I have decided to republish it below for those who have not read it, I still think it holds up and what with it being Easter tomorrow it even has a kind of context in which to be published.
P.S This is not just laziness because I have nothing new to write. Honest.
________________________________________________
One of the funny things about being a Christian is the very fact that you have a label. In the instant you adopt that moniker you suddenly have 2000 years of history attached to your name, to the person you are. All the connotations in society from that word are now yours – welcome to the family! I used to, and in some ways still do, live slightly in fear of this. It’s not quite up there with walking into a room full of spiders with the lights off, but it’s true that being a Christian is hardly a cool thing these days. But truthfully, it never has. To society if you’re a Christian you are a) boring, b) a hypocrite, c) in a position to judge people and d) religious.
Aha, there we go. That’s the ‘R’ word isn’t it? In fact religion is a very human thing, often entirely separated from God. What colour drapes or robes to wear. Which book the prayers should come from etc. Not very holy. You see I consider myself someone with faith, not religion. To be a Christian one thing counts, to acknowledge Jesus as God’s son and have a relationship. That’s it. You don’t need church, in fact it’s probably a surprise to many that Christians choose church! It should never be a case of duty, but something you want to do! Crazy but true. That doesn’t of course mean that just because you are tired you shouldn’t go, but it does mean that showing up 100 Sundays in a row just for appearances sake, means nothing if you are there for yourself.
The trouble really is people. We, as imperfect beings, do our best in this life but nearly always make the same mistakes. Namely we feel we don’t need God, that his existence isn’t as important as ours and pout ourselves and our selfish needs first. Often even good deeds are tainted by the fact we want people to see us doing them and to look good! All I’m trying to say here is to dispel some of the rumours and opinions about religion. I am not knocking it at all, its flawed yes but means well. The trouble is when it gives people negative views on Christians. Many a time I cringe and feel ashamed to be Christian after seeing opinions or reports of people. I just hope that the message of love and selflessness that Christianity is all about somehow makes it through the views of failure and corruption. Nobody is perfect, least of all Christians but people living with a sense of purpose and unity in their lives in a society so desperately seeking an answer should be admired, not looked down upon as much of today’s media does. Please note I am not aiming this at any particular person or group of people. I am fortunate enough to have not encountered hostility because of my faith or connections with religion and my friends have been very respectful. I am speaking against society’s general impression of Christians – one example being the strict and dull relative. Watching Cold Feet recently there was an episode with a baby’s christening. His Godmother was the mum’s sister, announced as ‘the Christian.’ True enough for her brief appearance she mentioned the Bible all the time and gave a reading damning people to hell. I’m sure it was very funny, and I’m sure such people exist. But really its like announcing the Godfather as being a Football supporter and have them run in, shirt on their head, with a pie in each hand and have then proceed to shout and tear up the church shouting ‘United!’ ‘United!’. This stereotype of Christians is one I must have missed on my visits to many Christian events, where I have met some of my best friends and some of the, hands down, nicest kindest and most inspiring people you could find. It was the experience of being around Christians that convinced me that there must be something too it, that these people had something special, Something that I wanted. That something is God and I saw that. People complain about Christians for being ‘happy clappy’, I’m sorry – is there something wrong with happiness now? Christians suffer the same problems as everyone else, maybe even more but the difference is they have people to support them and a strong faith in a God that will never forsake them. Surely this is what everyone is looking for? It is an up and down journey, tough, confusing and hard. But also joyful and exciting. Being a Christian is just being a person, who knows he is more than just flesh and blood. You may not agree with it, you may object, but at the end of the day it is either true or false. There is either a God or not. Religion is the result of belief, but not a necessary part. I guess at the end of all this what I’m trying to say is don’t let Religion put you off God, because that would be the biggest crime of all.

1 comment:

Matt Stevens said...

don't let religion put you off God - amen man. God is so far removed from earthly religion its not funny. The bible doesnt command you to go to church. It does command Christians to hang out together and act appropriatly, church is often a convinient place to do these things!